Sleep, vital for mental and physical well-being, is an active process that serves many functions of the brain and body.
The Purpose of Sleep Includes:
• Fatigue Reversal.
– Allowing the individual to recover and re-energize.
• Biochemical Refreshment.
– Promoting synaptic efficiency, protein synthesis, neurogenesis, metabolic restoration, growth, etc.
• Immune Function.
– Providing biological protection.
– Providing for memory consolidation of daytime learning.
• Facilitating encoding of new information.
– Psychological well-being.
• Providing dreams which occur in all sleep stages, with REM dreams the most vivid
– Mitigating the risk of mood alteration to depression.
To learn more about the stages of sleep click here.